Monday, September 24, 2012

2 weeks to go - Reconfirming my faith in humanity and in myself

Longest run: 12.1 miles. Time: Let's just say within my goal time. Biggest gripe: my stomach doesn't like all that jostling.

Last week was exciting and nerve-wracking at the same time. Because this race just got very real. In fact, this week is my last training week before tapering in the final week. That is, my last chance to work on speed and mileage before I have to rest my legs and body in preparation for the race. I admit I haven't been 100% (or even 80%) following the training regimen. Work, weather, fatigue and a minor cold (which I kicked in 2 days, thanks to zinc) have all been major factors in missing some pretty key workouts. So I might not be quite up to par with my running mates in class, but considering I was basically sedentary 6 months ago, I feel like I'm in a good place. Here's a gem: I was lamenting to my mom about how slow I am compared to my training mates and she says, "It's not a competition." Actually, mom, by definition a race sort of IS a competition. Ha ha. Gotta love her, always supportive. In any case, yes, I finished the 12 miles. Slow and steady wins finishes the race. I'm like a turtle. I'll just keep going til the end, now matter what. Isn't that the point of all this? To set a challenge beyond what I've ever had to endure and just get through it. If it was easy, it wouldn't be called a challenge.

And now to the amazing part - last week I opened my fund raising campaign for HopeLives (see widget to the right for more information), and within a single day my amazing friends, family and co-workers raised almost $1000! I had originally set my goal at $300. Having never done a fund raising, I wasn't sure what to expect. But by the end of the day, I raised the goal to $1200. And then we beat THAT. Smashed it. As of this writing, I'm at $1502. That's equivalent to about 38 services to women in recovery. I'm absolutely thrilled and in awe of "my people". You guys are great. Can't thank you enough. And there are still 13 days to go until the race. Let's keep climbing, keep putting one foot in front of the other until the finish line. That's the only way to do it.
-k

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing! As soon as I have the means, I will donate!

    ReplyDelete